Friday, December 27, 2019

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters || A Book Review

Heya!

This is my second review to the Percy Jackson series! If you haven't read the first review, I highly recommend you start with that one, over here.

Okay, so without any other further ado, I'll get started! The Sea of Monsters was written by Rick Riordan. With Grover gone to find the Pan, Percy and Annabeth are now reduced to a duo as they hurtle away from monsters (as usual) and have a cyclops, Percy's friend, Tyson, tag along with them (not usual). They find out Thalia's pine tree was poisoned, and that the only way to save it is to get the Golden Fleece, which just so happens to be guarded by a giant near-sighted cyclops, who also just so happens to have kidnapped Grover, only he thinks Grover is a lady cyclops that he's going to marry. From Percy turning into a hamster to Annabeth swimming towards deadly Sirens, they never give up.

'Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Sea of Monsters ...

!!! SPOILERS AHEAD (not the ending, though!) !!!


Image result for sea of monsters fanart
Tyson being Tyson.
I really, really enjoyed this book. It kept me hooked, and I finished it in a matter of days on my Kindle. I had a real soft stop for Tyson, since he's such an innocent little sweetheart. Though I felt like he was a bit of a copy of Grover. They were really similar, with only a few differences, but it didn't really bother me. We learned a lot more about Annabeth and Luke (darn you, Luke!!). I could connect with Annabeth, and I understand why she thought the things she did, and why she did certain things. 

Though it was an awesome book, I found it started out slow, and it took me a bit to get into it. Maybe that's just because when I read the first book, I really knew nothing about Percy Jackson, so I was instantly hooked, and wanted to learn more. Whereas now, I practically know the amount of hairs on his head, so nothing really hooked me at first, except for Tyson, of course. I found the bully thing a little redundant. In every school Percy's been to, including Camp Half-Blood (that I know of), there's a bully that the teachers love. I just felt frustrated at the unfairness of that.

Image result for sea of monsters fanart
Percy after he saves Annabeth from the sirens.

I found a lot of humor in this book, though. I took some notes on my Kindle, so here they are. 

"Powdered donuts," Tyson said earnestly. "I will look for powdered donuts in the
wilderness." He headed outside and started calling, "Here, donuts!"
I shivered. The way she told it- even know, six years later- freaked me out worse than any ghost story I'd ever heard.                                             
What did you do?"     
"I stabbed him in the foot." 
"What could be worse than hummus?" (Otter here: Hummus is amazing.) 
Chiron sighed. He set Annabeth and Grover down on a picnic blanket next to me. "I really wish my cousins wouldn't slam their heads together. They don't have the brain cells to spare." 

Image result for sea of monsters fanart
Percy telling Annabeth she's a genius.
Also, I really felt like Annabeth and Percy's relationship were starting to grow. Annabeth was becoming more open towards Percy (though she never lost her feistiness), and she was sharing parts of her childhood. Character development, guys!

There were two really cute parts in the book with these two half-bloods that I'd like to highlight. The first one was where Percy silently promised to the gods that if Annabeth's plan worked, he'd call her genius (despite his pride). When they're riding back on their water horses, Percy tells Annabeth she's a genius, even though she's unconscious.

The other part was where Percy and Annabeth were doing the chariot race. They managed to win, thanks to Tyson's transforming clock, which turned into a shield once you clicked the button on it. They won the chariot race, and Percy made the brave move to tell everyone it was because of Tyson that they won, even though he'd been embarrassed by his half-brother prior. Tyson blushed, and everybody cheered. Then, Annabeth kissed Percy on the cheek!! 💖💕😌😊My. Heart. Melted. I know, of course, that they'll end up together, that's just a fact. I like that their relationship is moving slowly, unlike some other books I've read where one second they've just met, and then the next second they're kissing. 😐But I can't wait to finish the next book and see how their relationship evolves.

Anyway, I hoped you enjoyed this book review, and that if you haven't read the book already, that it makes you want to read it (because I highly recommend you do!)- but don't forget to start with the first one!


Image result for annabeth kiss percy cheek
Annabeth kissing Percy's cheek.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful! Thanks!