Friday, January 10, 2020

Percy Jackson: The Last Olympian || A Book Review

Wow... Just- just, wow...

Has a book ever made you feel sad, angry, and happy at the same time? 'Cause this one sure did. I can't believe the Percy Jackson series is over...

Okay, okay. This is the fifth, and last, Percy Jackson series (written by Rick Riordan) book review. You can read the first one, the second one, the  third one, and the fourth one first.

We follow Percy and his friends on their adventures, yet again, to stop Luke and his army of monsters. With Kronos controlling Luke's body, they think they lost, though afterwards, with the help of Hestia, the goddess of the Hearth, they realize that all they need is a little hope.


New cover

!!! SPOILERS AHEAD (not the ending, though!) !!!


oh worm? on Twitter: "so au where mrs o'leary is a chow ...
Mrs. O'Leary
This book took me on a rollercoaster of emotions, but ended with me feeling all fuzzy and warm inside.

We got to see more of Mrs. O'Leary, Percy's giant hellhound, which is always good. But really, Camp Half Blood at the moment is really depressing. As Percy quoted:
It's hard to enjoy practical jokes when your whole life feels like one.
But a good note to the sad song we have here is that Percy and Annabeth are getting closer. And no, I don't mean they're becoming super BFFs for ever, I mean they're actually falling in love.
I mean, sure, she'd always been cute, but she was starting to be seriously beautiful.
We also get to spend more time with Nico, who is as sarcastic and awesome as ever.
I'd never get used to the fact that this twelve-year-old kid spent more time talking with the dead than the living.
 I really enjoyed this book, even though it was a little bittersweet. I especially enjoyed all of the scenes with Percy and Annabeth in them. Especially since they *ahem big spoiler* kissed at the end.

Anyway, I'm going to keep this review short and sweet. Here are some quotes I liked:


The Last Olympian by Rick Riordan
Annabeth and Percy
"Except he forgot," Nico muttered. "And his father jumped off the palace roof in despair. But other than that, it was a great idea." 
The older lady harrumphed. "I warned you, daughter. This scoundrel Hades is no good. You could've married the god of doctors or the god of lawyers, but noooo. You had to eat the pomegranate."
Clarisse was a stubborn idiot. End of story.
A terrifying image flashed through my mind of Apollo in bell-bottom pants and a slinky silk shirt.
Maybe under most circumstances, offering a seven-year-old kid a knife would not be a good idea, but when you're a half-blood, regular rules kind of go out the window.
Percy’s parents (Paul Blofis and Sally Jackson) fight in ...
From left to right: Paul Blofis, Sally Jackson (Percy's mom), Annabeth, Percy, Nico
" [..] Zeus is un imbecile." 
I was about to make some clever comment, like "No."
The campers down at the volleyball pit had early '90s hairstyles, which were probably good for keeping the monsters away.
"Yeah, baby!" a voice wailed. "PARTY!"
"The world will fall, the gods will die, and I will never achieve a perfect score on this stupid machine."
But this was Annabeth. If I couldn't trust her, I couldn't trust anyone. 
Zeus' royal nostrils flared.

And one last one just for the sake of Percy's mom being totally awesome and badass.
"When did you learn to fire a shotgun?" I demanded.
My mom blew the hair out of her face. "About two seconds ago."
Anyway, that wraps up my Percy Jackson book reviews. I can't believe it's over. I enjoyed this series so much, and I really recommend you read it!

Cya!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful! Thanks!